Baitfish Boils off Jupiter

Home ›› Forums ›› Southeast Fishing ›› Baitfish Boils off Jupiter

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Went out on Saturday, March 22. Saw multilple areas of intense baitfish activity at about 100 feet. Trolled though with skirted ballyhoo and lures, casted lures. Could not even get a bite. Apparently this went on up and down the coast. What were they and what is the secrete of catching something underneath?

admin
    Keymaster

the same thing happend to us off of key largo saturday, we tried everything we could , fished in 120-160 fow all the way out to the gulf stream. bait and fish everywhere, birds diving but no takers. while makeing bait we nailed the ballyhoo and yellowtail. so at lest we have a lot of bait for future trips and those yellowtail are always delicous!

we eventually slow trolled some gogs and ballyhoo and caugth one sail, lost another and had a few cut offs on the down bait but we couldnt buy a bite trolling skirted ballyhoo, naked hoos, or anything else we could throw at them while trolling over idle speed. seemed live bait slow trolled or on a kite was the way to go from what ive heard from most everyone.

good luck and thanks for the report

admin
    Keymaster

You need to downsize your baits. Try small plugs like X-Raps and Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnows trolled way back. The fish you came across were most likely a mix of big bonito and juvenile blackfin tuna. I am sure there were some kings and Spanish mixed in as well. The fish are gorging on tiny glass-minnows maybe two-inches long, so go small and don’t spook the schools.

admin
    Keymaster

Hello rtvrnick. Glad to have you aboard. Hope to see many more of your posts.

admin
    Keymaster

Thanks everyone. I think I got my answer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.