Newport, R.I. – Newport Exhibition Group, owners and producers of the Newport International Boat Show, announced today activities and amenities for those planning to attend its 45th annual show. The largest boat show in New England and the ‘kick off’ to the fall boat show season, the Newport International Boat Show provides visitors from around the world a venue to see the latest boats and product offerings from hundreds of manufacturers and dealers, including dozens debuting for the first time in the United States. Set along historic Newport Harbor in the heart of downtown Newport, the show also offers a wealth of education and fun activities for boating enthusiasts of all ages and experience.
• In honor of the Newport International Boat Show’s 45th Anniversary, there will be a Treasure Hunt. On Sunday, September 20th, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., 100 lucky guests will be able to compete for an exquisite sapphire pendent (valued at $850).
• Come meet the U.S. Sailing Team Members Annie Haeger and Briana Provancha. These amazing young women and Olympic medal contenders will be taking pictures and signing autographs from 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. on Friday, September 18th in the US Sailing and US Powerboating booths – Tent A #39 and #40. They just won Gold at the 2015 Rio de Janeiro Test Event in the Women’s 470 class.
• Confident Captain’s At The Helm offers a variety of daily sail and powerboat classes by USCG Licensed Captains and certified instructors. Nothing beats on-the-water, hands-on training to improve boat handling skills or to learn new ones. New shore-based courses have also been added to make better, safer and more confident boaters.
• Sail America/Discover Sailing also offers attendees exciting on-the-water Advanced Sail Trim for Cruisers and Racers and A Taste of Sailing courses all four days of the show.
• The 2015 Newport International Boat Show Educational Seminar Series will take place at Christie’s/41̊ North on Perry Mill Wharf and includes a variety of top-notch speakers and topics to help boaters get the most from their passion. A few of the topics covered include Using Radar Effectively, Safety at Sea – covering common medical problems at sea and what to do about them, Sail Cloth; Unraveling The Threads – a review of the fibers used in sailmaking and the ways they are converted into “sail cloth”, and Suddenly Singlehanded – a discussion tailored to the cruising couple with a focus on what the less experienced crew member must know in case the Captain becomes disabled.
• Visitors on Thursday will have the opportunity to cast their vote for the best new sailboat or powerboat making its U.S. debut in the Newport For New Products People’s Choice Award. One voter will be selected at random to win a $250 American Express Gift Card. Voting ballots are available at all gates.
• The annual State of the Industry Press Conference will take place on Friday, September 18th at 8:15 a.m. in Sunset Lounge at the end of Commercial Wharf. Five executives representing boating gear, marinas and boatyards, marine electronics, powerboat and sailboat companies will answer questions presented by an emcee about their view of the industry.
• Cruising Outpost will host its 5th annual Cruisers Party. Open to all who are inside the show gates on Saturday at 6 p.m., the party will feature many great prizes and giveaways. Enjoy live music, free pizza, beer and soft drinks while they last.
• While at the show, tour America’s newest Tall Ship, SSV Oliver Hazard Perry (OHP). She is the first fully-rigged, ocean going Tall Ship to be built in America in over 100 years. The OHP will be docked on Perry Mill Wharf. Attendees must have a boat show wristband to get on board.
• The lovely and talented Sailor Donna will entertain children with singing, face painting and balloon art on Saturday only from noon to 4 p.m.
“The programs and activities we offer complement the boats, products and services that our exhibitors bring to the show,” said Nancy Piffard, show director of Newport Exhibition Group. “The show experience, coupled with Newport’s own amenities such as award-winning restaurants, historic landmarks, fashionable boutiques and galleries, make for a boat show destination that is second to none!”
Expected to draw tens of thousands to historic Newport, the Newport International Boat Show will take place Thursday, September 17th through Sunday, September 20th, 2015 on the Newport waterfront along America’s Cup Avenue in Newport, Rhode Island. One of the largest in-water boat shows in the country, the event will host nearly 750 exhibitors from around the world with an exceptional assortment of boats of every type and style from 15 to 110 feet, and a wide variety of accessories, equipment, electronics, gear and services for boaters.
For more information on the 45th Annual Newport International Boat Show and to purchase tickets, please visit newportboatshow.com . Event updates will be posted as they become available and communicated on the show’s Twitter and Facebook accounts: @NewportBoatShow and facebook.com/newportboatshow , respectively. Social media posts will also be tagged #NIBS2015.
Rushton Gregory Communications