NEW YORK, September 18, 2018 – Today Poncho, a company born out of a passion for wildlife and wild places, announced its official launch with a promise to make the world’s best fishing apparel, starting with a fishing shirt. Poncho’s founder, Clay Spencer, a former Alaskan fly-fishing guide, grew tired of his overly baggy fishing clothes with too many pockets and gadgets. He founded Poncho to deliver better-fitting fishing gear – made with everything anglers need, and nothing they don’t.
“All of the existing fishing shirts out there fit like trash bags,” said Spencer. “On top of that, fishing shirts are too gimmicky, with too many pockets, loops, zippers and straps. As a fishing guide, I found all of those things to be just clutter. I decided to create the fishing shirt that I always wanted – better-fitting and simple. Poncho is going to be making things with everything you need and nothing you don’t. This new fishing shirt is just the start.”
Beyond making fishing apparel, Poncho’s ultimate aim is to expand wildlife and wild places. Spencer and his team are passionate about big fish, public lands and abundant waters. Poncho begins its journey by making its shirt in an environmentally friendly way. Much bigger plans are ahead.
The new Poncho fishing shirt offers numerous, one-of-a-kind and remarkable features:
- Feels like cotton. Dries 10 times faster
- Newly developed, proprietary, fabric is Bluesign approved, which means it adheres to the strictest environmental standards by using less water in production and avoiding toxic chemical coatings and dyes
- UPF 50 sun protection. Unlike other shirts, Poncho’s UV protection is inherent to the fabric, does not use chemical coatings, won’t wash out, and maintains UPF factor when wet
- Available in slim and regular fits – the only fishing shirt in the world to do so
- Stretch in the fabric allows for complete freedom of movement.
- Simple, clean design
- One-of-a-kind, magnetic snaps on pocket closures for easy one-handed access
- Taller, stiffer collar to protect against the sun, button-down collar to prevent flapping
- Subtle back vent
- Zippered chest pocket to hold larger items like a fly box and the largest iPhone
- Sunglasses holder hidden behind chest pocket and sunglasses cleaner integrated into shirttail
- Subtle accessories loop hidden beneath pocket flap
- Button-in-place, roll-up sleeves
Poncho sells, exclusively, directly through its website at www.ponchooutdoors.com. For more information, contact Bryan Hunter at [email protected]. To view the press kit and access Poncho’s high-resolution photo gallery, please visit: www.ponchooutdoors.com/pages/press
Poncho is a fishing apparel company born out of a passion for wildlife and wild places. Poncho founder Clay Spencer’s search for the next big fish turned into an obsession, and he moved to the remote Alaskan wilderness to become a fly-fishing guide. While working as a guide, Clay identified a need for better fitting, simplified, fishing gear and apparel. In addition to making the world’s best fishing apparel, Poncho’s ultimate mission is to expand wildlife and wild places. As part of that, Poncho is making clothes that are designed to last via a Bluesign approved, environmentally conscious process, with much bigger plans ahead.