Level: Intermediate | Total Prep Time: 25 Minutes | Total Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 swordfish steaks (6 oz.)
- 1 sweet onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, diced
- 2 bottles of beer (12 oz.)
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 24 littleneck clams, scrubbed*
- 12 littleneck clams, shucked & chopped
- 2 tablespoons Kalamata olives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, sliced
- Kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
*Soak whole clams for 20 minutes in freshwater. As clams breathe they filter water. When the freshwater is filtered, clams push saltwater and sand out of their shells.
Heat olive oil in 8-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season swordfish with salt & pepper and sear for approximately two minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover in foil to finish cooking process. Add fennel, jalapeno pepper to the pot and sauté for one minute. Add onion, garlic, olives, chopped clams and reduce to medium heat. Sauté for another two to three minutes. Add beer, butter and bring to a slow boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot with a spoon.
Add whole clams and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until clams open, about seven to ten more minutes (discard any clams that do not open). Stir in parsley and basil. Plate the fish and clams and generously top with sauce. Serve with crusty garlic bread.
Crusty Garlic Bread
- 1 sourdough baguette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 stick unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
Preheat oven to 350°. Add butter and mashed garlic in a small bowl and microwave until softened. Stir in olive oil and herbs. Slice baguette lengthwise, spread mixture on both halves and bake for 15 minutes.